With the so called "fiscal cliff" and sequestration scheduled to take place on Jan.1st, C-SPAN looks back to the August, 2011 debate and news conferences from the U.S. House, U.S. Senate and the White House as Congress considered and passed the Budget Control Act.
The BCA is the law that created sequestration, the automatic spending cuts that are split 50/50 between defense and non-defense spending.
Here’s what you’ll see:
From the U.S. House:
- A portion of House floor debate on the Budget Control Act (8/1/11)
- House Progressive Caucus news conference (8/1/11)
- House Republican leaders news conference (8/1/11)
- House Democratic leaders news conference (8/2/11)
From the U.S. Senate
- A portion of U.S. Senate debate on the Budget Control Act (8/2/11)
- Senate Republican leaders news conference (8/2/11)
- Senate Democratic leaders news conference (8/2/11)
From the White House:
- President Obama’s on-camera statement after House & Senate passage of the BCA (8/2/11)