This holiday weekend, Book TV offers diverse book programming of politicians' and journalists' books. For a full schedule, visit BookTV.org.
Saturday's highlights include:
Saturday, 10 pm (ET): After Words: Conor O’Clery, Moscow, December 25, 1991: The Last Days of the Soviet Union
The former Irish Times Moscow correspondent details the day that Mikhail Gorbachev resigned as president of the U.S.S.R. and the failed coup that led to that day. He discusses the country's historic transition from communist superpower to open market republic with Thomas Blanton, Director of the National Security Archive.
Conor O'Clery was the Moscow correspondent for the Irish Times during the final years of the Soviet Union. In 30 years with the Irish Times, he also served as correspondent in London, Beijing, New York and Washington, D.C. He is the author of several books, including "The Billionaire Who Wasn't," a biography of American philanthropist Chuck Feeney.
Saturday, 11:45 pm (ET): Charles Mann, 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created
Charles Mann, author of 1491, revisits the Americas a year after Christopher Columbus' arrival. The author reports on the European voyages that followed and the transportation of flora and fauna that reached portions of the globe it had never reached before, deemed the "Columbian Exchange." Mr. Mann recounts the economic and ecological impact of the Exchange. Charles Mann discusses his book with author Richard Rodriguez from the Los Angeles Public Library.
Other highlights for the weekend include:
- Condoleezza Rice, No Higher Honor: A Memoir of My Years in Washington
- Bill Clinton, Back to Work: Why We Need Smart Government for a Strong Economy
- Tom Brokaw, The Time of Our Lives: A Conversation About America
- Charles Mann, 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created
- Thomas Friedman & Michael Mandelbaum, That Used to Be Us: How America Fell Behind in the World It Invented and How We Can Come Back
- Juan Williams, Muzzled: The Assault on Honest Debate
- Sarah Weinman, 2011 Year in Books
- Re-air of In Depth with Ben Mezrich author of numerous books, including The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook – A Tale of Sex, Money, and Betrayal
The full schedule can be found at www.booktv.org